Know your culprit, the Sternocledomastoid Muscle located at the base of your skull on either side of your neck, behind your ears. It has 3 attachments which is rare and basically functions to rotate your head from side to side, bending your neck down and also aids respiration.
So if you will try to look to your Right/Left shoulder right now, that is your SCM working and if that movement is pain and stiff it’s a warning sign right there.
What causes SCM Pain?
- Referred pain from other muscle tightness
- Repeated movement of looking down to type or to use phone
- Poor posture especially rounded shoulders and forward head posture
- Sleeping on stomach
- Shallow and rapid breathing pattern
What can be the Symptoms?
- Your neck, upper back, base of skull is sensitive to touch and pressure.
- Feeling of tightness or pinching pain while tiltling and turning head from side to side
- Neck muscles feels fatigued and often you find yourself stretching and placing your hand at back of your neck
- Tension headache
- Stretching & Strengthening SCM muscle and other Neck Muscles
- Stretching Chest muscles and Strengthening Upper Back Muscles
- Posture Ergonomics
- Realigning your neck by a Chiropractic Treatment
- Soft tissue release by IASTM and Cupping Technique helps
- Comfort wear & Breathable Clothing
- Proper Neck support while sleeping